[BioSQL-l] synonyms for ontology terms

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 10:09:58 EST 2003

Hi Hilmar,

Would it not be better to represent this inside the ontology itself? If
we had a well-known predicate 'synonym' then we can use the tripples
table to associate a concept with its synonyms. This will be come just
as efficient as a term_synonym table once the transient closures table
is populated. It also removes one more block of special case code - we
can look up synonyms and antonyms and identities and isas and hasas with
the same code without extra tables. My rule of thumb is that any info
that relates terms to one another should be in the ontology itself, and
never in an extra table.

Matthew

--
BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk