[BioSQL-l] Re: Biosql-ora

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Jan 28 13:06:32 EST 2003

The Oracle version of the schema in biosql is out-dated. I need to
update it. bioperl-db works well with the (current :) version of the
Oracle schema, that's what we use here internally.

I promise to update this by tonight (PST :). Sorry about that. You're
the first one asking for the Oracle version. Let me know if you are
serious about using it, and I'll consider moving the native repository
into biosql-schema (as opposed to an import, which it is now). Also, I
have constrained the Oracle version pretty rigorously, which wasn't
appropriate in all places. I.e., sometimes I have to relax column
widths etc to accommodate input data, and you will want to be made
aware of such changes if they happen and if you run it seriously. That
is, I'd post that to the list then too.

On another note, the Oracle version adds some considerable
sophistication on the database server end. It comes with a complete
PL/SQL API, materialized views for fast name lookup and genome mapping,
and with context indexes. Even though it may all run on Oracle 8i, I
can't guarantee. I develop on 9i. For utilizing the additional
features, it will help if you're somewhat familiar with Oracle.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org