[Biopython] SeqUtils Contribution

Erick Holguin holguinerick4 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:44:54 EDT 2021

Hi Biopython Subscribers,

I’m a newbie to contributing to open source but I thought I might be of some value to Biopython due to my most recent work experience. I work at software shop that creates lab info management systems and they had their own infrastructure that processed sequences, inspired by Biopython actually just in c#. I upgraded that system that had these current features to the new feature set.

- Previous Features for Sequence Analysis ( not taking oxidized cysteine into account)
	- calculate molecular weight using set of known weights per amino acid
	- calculate molar extinction coefficient using Edelhoch methodology
	- calculate isoelectric point of protein using David Tabb method

- Current Features (takes oxidized cysteine into account)
	- calculate molecular weight with avg amino acid weights or atomic weights
	- calculate molar extinction coefficient and absorbance at 0.1%
	- calculate isoelectric point using David Tabb method or the Skoog and Wichmann methods

I was thinking, as a way in to contributing to this great project that I can start with working on that part of the code and contribute some of these features, but want to make sure that was on the radar for important things or is there something more important to focus on?

Thanks for any input and time you may have on my brief proposal.

Cheers,
Erick Holguin