[Biopython] Biopython 1.78 plans - please help with testing

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 16 11:27:03 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Michiel and I would like to do the Biopython 1.78 release soon, hopefully
in August.

Right now I would encourage all of you familiar with installing from source
to try
the latest Biopython from github, and report any issues you find:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues

The main change is in the removal of Bio.Alphabet, and I want our
documentation
ready to make this as painless a change as possible. We think the tutorial
is ready,
and I have now updated the code snippets on the website as well (see
https://github.com/biopython/biopython.github.io for this).

Would it help to share a preview of the tutorial on the website? Some time
back
we had the stable release side by side with a manually updated dev version.

We have a few use cases here for sequencing input/ouput where you need to
specify the kind of sequence (DNA, RNA or protein), which is one of the few
reasons you might still have been using Bio.Alphabet in your code:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/3156

Any thoughts on where that should be put? Left as an issue; a page on the
website;
a blog post on www.open-bio.org; in the DEPRECATED file, other?

There is one small stumbling block to the actual release: we need to update
the temporary staging area used for pre-built wheels before uploading them
to PyPI. The rackspace storage we and the numpy community were using has
expired, but the consensus seems to be using anaconda.org instead:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython-wheels/issues/6

Thank you all,