[Biopython] Atom inheritance from Entity

Spencer Bliven spencer.bliven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 05:52:22 UTC 2019

I was wondering why Atom doesn't inherit from Entity. It doesn't have children, but it seems like it would be more consistent to have the whole Structure stack inherit from a single point. Is anyone aware of the history there?

I ask because I'm trying to add type annotations to Bio.PDB, and mypy flagged a number of places where my initial 'Entity' type conflicted with Atoms. We can certainly get around this by accepting either Entity or Atom, but I'm not sure that was intended.

-Spencer