[Biopython] Attempting to automatically publish the Sphinx API documentation

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:51:49 UTC 2019

Dear Biopythoneers,

Some of you will have noticed a new (currently almost empty)
repository appeared, https://github.com/biopython/docs

One of many things we've been trying to do in Biopython is replace
the ugly but functional API documentation generated with epydoc
(an old tool which is no longer actively developed) with something
more modern (and supported) like Sphinx autodoc.

The goal here is to extend the existing TravisCI job which extracts
our API documentation as RST and turns it into HTML using Sphinx
autodoc, by deploying the files to https://github.com/biopython/docs
using https://github.com/drdoctr/doctr

The HTML output could then be published directly via GitHub
Pages (similar to how we already host biopython.org), and/or
we could point Read The Docs at the generated RST.

This could then be extended to handle an RST version of the
Tutorial, and again make it into HTML using Sphinx rather than
hevea (another old tool which is no longer actively developed).

Peter

See also:

http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/api/
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/906