[Biopython] [GSoC] Please submit your GSoC 2018 project ideas until Jan 20th.

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 16 11:17:53 UTC 2018

Dear Biopythoneers,

Do we as a community have any bright ideas for GSoC
project proposals?

http://biopython.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
http://biopython.org/wiki/Active_projects

Do any of our developers (including all our regular contributors)
think they might be able to mentor or co-mentor a student this
summer? It can be enormously rewarding, but does require a
serious regular time commitment. I know most if not all of you
will be busy. I've not volunteered to mentor recently, and now
with a small child at home this year is not going to be any easier.

IIRC, the only GSoC ideas put forward last year featuring
Biopython were from Kai Blin, for the internals of his tool
antiSMASH.

We have had ideas in the past for things like revamping
GenomeDiagram, or moving our BioSQL wrapper over
to SQLAlchemy.

Peter