[Biopython] Biopython project under OBF for GSoC 2018

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:56:37 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:33 PM, Sourav Singh <ssouravsingh12 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> For RNA Seq, Are we talking about adding modules for parsing of RNA
> secondary structure and nucleotides? If so, The project looks interesting to
> me. The only problem is I don't see the branch created by Kristian Rothner,
> so the code may need to be written from scratch.

No, although that's an interesting area in itself - and has been talked
about before for GSoC.

I meant RNA sequencing as a quantitative assay for gene expression,
as an alternative to the older microarray technology used for gene
expression analysis. This is a vast area and I don't immediately see
a project idea here for Biopython.

> I am also a bit worried about whether there would be anyone willing to
> mentor a project for Biopython.

Yes, sadly that is currently a bottleneck.