[Biopython] Fetching fasta sequences by accession number

Patrick Kunzmann padix.kleber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:37:33 UTC 2018

Hi Ahmad,

I am not sure, if Biopython is able to do this, but Biotite (a package,
I am currently developing) can handle it.

If you want to multiple files you can use
/biotite.database.entrez.fetch()/
(http://www.biotite-python.org/apidoc/biotite.database.entrez/fetch.html).

If you want all sequences in a single file you can use
/biotite.database.entrez.fetch_single_file()/
(http://www.biotite-python.org/apidoc/biotite.database.entrez/fetch_single_file.html).

Example:

import biotite.database.entrez as entrez

file_name = entrez.fetch_single_file(["M95099"," M95098"], "test.fasta",
db_name="nuccore", ret_type="fasta")

Best regards

Patrick