[Biopython] Bio.Entrez.epost error with Python 3.2

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 22 11:06:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Nicolas Joannin
<nicolas.joannin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> I might not have followed the correct procedure for reporting the problem.
> If that is the case, please let me know the correct procedure.
> What I had done was email the biopython mailing list with my question,
> including an example and the output.
> From that question, I received two replies from Michiel de Hoon (first and
> second), to which I replied to...
> After that, you replied as well.

Sorry - I didn't reread the whole thread carefully enough - I saw the post
issue which was resoled, but missed the encode issue from before.

> Seeing your response, I am guessing that emailing the mailing list is not
> quite the proper way, so, could you tell me the proper way to report
> problems?

Email works to a point, but the formal bug tracker has advantages if
something isn't resolved quickly. We currently use RedMine (but have
discussed moving to GitHub's issue tracker):
http://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biopython

> Regarding my and your suggested solutions, I have never worked with Python
> 2.X, so I don't know if my solution would break it when used with Python 2.
> But I guess so.
> I have tested your solution and that works as well in my testing.
>
> (My testing, after modifying the Entrez.__init__.py file:

> )

We should be able to test this under a range of Python versions - thank
you for the clarification.