[Biopython] Download a range from genbank

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 23 12:49:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Björn Johansson
<bjorn_johansson at bio.uminho.pt> wrote:
> Hi,
> some genbank records are very large and I am usually only interested in a
> small part.
>
> is it possible to only download a part of a genbank record using
> Bio.Entrez?
>
> cheers,
> bjorn

Yes, for a sequence database you can use optional arguments to
the efetch command, see:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25499/#chapter4.EFetch

Quote:

seq_start - First sequence base to retrieve. The value should be the
integer coordinate of the first desired base, with "1" representing
the first base of the seqence.

seq_stop - Last sequence base to retrieve. The value should be the
integer coordinate of the last desired base, with "1" representing the
first base of the seqence.