[Biopython] alignment scores -fitting to Poisson distribution

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:55:42 UTC 2011

It's an extreme value distribution.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_extreme_value_distribution which
is what you generally get from selecting the maximum function from a set of
random variables. (You get a normal distribution from a sum of random
variables).  Aligning proteins provides a maximum function, so multiple
alignment scores are EVD distributed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/tutorial/Altschul-1.html

./I

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM, George Devaniranjan <devaniranjan at gmail.com