[Biopython] installation failure on mac OS10.6.7

Ian Lancaster ilancaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:14:10 UTC 2011

After gcc 4.0 the Wno-long-double option was removed, among others, which was apparently used in building python. However, I don't think the problem is with gcc per se, but the version of python.

For instance, installing numpy with Apple's python2.6 and 2.5 failed on my machine with the gcc 4.2 compiler. Then I installed python2.7 from the official package at python.org; numpy and Biopython installed and tested fine (I used pip). This might be a better solution for Snow Leopard users, particularly those who have only installed Xcode 4.

Ian