[Biopython] installation failure on mac OS10.6.7

Dilara Ally dilara.ally at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:29:15 EDT 2011

Hi Ian,

I've installed python2.7 and because of an earlier email  I removed Xcode4.0
and installed  Xcode3.0 +10.4 sdk then upgraded to Xcode4.0.  I also changed
the version of numpy and tested to see if I could import it.  There was no
problem importing numpy.

I tried to install biopython by directing entering the directory
biopython-1.57 and typing the command python setup.py install but got this
message:

creating build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7
error: could not create 'build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-2.7': Permission denied

Then when I tried the easy install using this command:

sudo easy_install -f http://biopython.org/DIST/ biopython

I got the following error:  Is it still having trouble with the gcc 4.2
compiler

Searching for biopython
Reading http://biopython.org/DIST/
Best match: biopython 1.57
Downloading http://biopython.org/DIST/biopython-1.57.zip
Processing biopython-1.57.zip
Running biopython-1.57/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
/tmp/easy_install-8RE8Sh/biopython-1.57/egg-dist-tmp-YMF_hu
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.pdf'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.eps'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.svg'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.png'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory
'Tests/UnitTests'
warning: no previously-included files matching '.cvsignore' found under
directory '*'
warning: no previously-included files matching '.gitignore' found under
directory '*'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found under directory
'*'
unable to execute gcc-4.2: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with exit
status 1

I'm stumped.

Thanks for the help.

Dilara