[Biopython] Lightweight version of Biopython?

Erick Matsen matsen at fhcrc.org
Wed Nov 3 12:06:05 UTC 2010

Hello there Biopython community--

We're writing some python code to use SCons for reproducible
bioinformatics research with intelligent dependencies. As part of the
project, we often need to do very simple bioinformatics tasks, such as
reading in various formats and spitting out others. We could use
Biopython for such things, but it's a very heavy dependency for such
trivial tasks.

I'm curious if there exists a Biopython "lite". The ideal situation
would be a tiny module that we could include directly in our project.
I have searched the Biopython mailing list and have yet to find
anything.

Thanks in advance,

Erick