[Biopython] BOSC/ISMB conference reminder

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Thu May 14 14:13:17 UTC 2009

Hi all;

> > I mentioned previously the idea of an informal Biopython hackathon on
> > the Monday and Tuesday after BOSC.

Peter:
> http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2009 says "In addition, we are
> asking all speakers to come prepared to lead an informal tutorial on
> their software during a Birds of a Feather/hackathon session."
> So I will ask them to allocate us a slot on the Saturday/Sunday
> during BOSC itself.  They should take care of getting a room and
> internet access too.  This would be more of a basic introduction to
> Biopython (hopefully we can generate some useful additions to the
> cookbook from this) rather than a developmental session like Brad
> is planning.

Glad to see all the interest. We can be flexible in how we schedule
things but we will definitely have some time for coding. Tiago, you
should come; BOSC is well worth it in addition to the hacking.

Peter, thanks for organizing the BoF session. This will probably
be more of an introduction and question/answer period if my past
experience is any predictor, but we can certainly morph into a
coding session afterwards. In the past these were in the evening and
we had rooms for as long as we wanted, so that'll make the
coordination easy. It will also accommodate Bartek and anyone
else who is around for the weekend.

Peter:
> You mean Monday June 29 and/or Tuesday June 30?  These are the
> first two days of the ISMB meeting, so my time would have to be
> juggled between this and whatever conference sessions look most
> relevant.

That was my initial idea since the BOSC schedule isn't all nailed
down, but fitting time in on Saturday and Sunday as available
is also great. I will be around for the days afterwards but not
attending ISMB, so can be flexible on times for anyone who want to
keep things going.

I'm looking forward to it. As we get closer we should spend some
time brainstorming a list of things to do. I would like it if some
non-Biopython programming people jumped in as well; it would be a
great chance to discuss coordination with other projects.

Brad