[Biopython] BOSC/ISMB conference reminder

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 14 12:47:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:
> Hi all;
> A friendly reminder to all of us Python bioinformatics folks;
> the early registration deadline for the Bioinformatics Open Source
> Conference (BOSC) is this Friday, May 15th:
>
> http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2009
>
> BOSC is on in Stockholm, Sweden from June 27th to 28th, and takes
> place in conjunction with the ISMB meeting.
>
> Peter will be there presenting an update on the latest and greatest
> in Biopython. I will be giving a 10 minute talk during the Data
> and Analysis Management section about ideas for publishing
> biological data on the web with Python examples. Generally, BOSC is
> a great chance to meet like-minded informatics folks and learn about
> all the great tools being developed out there.
>
> I mentioned previously the idea of an informal Biopython hackathon on
> the Monday and Tuesday after BOSC. Basically, this would be a chance
> to sit down and do some Biopython programming while being able to
> physically talk. I will definitely be there and am up for some coding
> with as many people as are inclined; Peter and Tiago responded favorably
> to the idea earlier. If you are at all interested send an e-mail. We can
> keep it informal with a few people, and I will try to organize space if
> it looks like we will have more.

You mean Monday June 29 and/or Tuesday June 30?  These are the
first two days of the ISMB meeting, so my time would have to be
juggled between this and whatever conference sessions look most
relevant.

http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2009 says "In addition, we are
asking all speakers to come prepared to lead an informal tutorial on
their software during a Birds of a Feather/hackathon session."
So I will ask them to allocate us a slot on the Saturday/Sunday
during BOSC itself.  They should take care of getting a room and
internet access too.  This would be more of a basic introduction to
Biopython (hopefully we can generate some useful additions to the
cookbook from this) rather than a developmental session like Brad
is planning.