[Biopython] How to run esearch in BioPython without specifying any filtering terms

bar tomas bartomas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:12:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

The BioPython tutorial (p.86) shows how once the available fields of an
Entrez database have been found with Einfo ,  queries can be run that use
those fields in the term argument of Esearch (for instance Jones[AUTH]).

However, I’d like to retrieve all IDs from a database without specifying any
filtering term.

If I leave the term argument out in the Entrez.efetch method, BioPython
returns an error.

It tried the following, that came up in a previous email on this mailing
list regarding pcassay database:

handle = Entrez.esearch(db='pcsubstance', term="ALL[filt]")

But this returns a list of 20 ids that obviously cannot comprise the whole
pcsubstance database

How can you run esearch in BioPython with no filtering terms?

Thanks very much.