[Biopython] Distributed Annotation System ( DAS ) and BioPython

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 13:59:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Rouilly,
Vincent<vincent.rouilly03 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have question about Distributed Annotation System (DAS).
> What is the current best practice to load a SeqRecord from
> a DAS description ?

I don't know if anyone has done that. We don't have anything
in Biopython for DAS right now (that I know of). Hopefully
Andrew Dalke (CC'd) can give us a quick report on the status
of his code and the DAS/2 project.

Could you give a specific example of a DAS service you'd like
to use to get a sequence record from?

On the bright side, when chatting to Peter Rice from EMBOSS
at BOSC/ISMB 2009, he said they had been doing a lot of work
with DAS, so it sounds like a lot of the problems Andrew was
talking about (like invalid XML files) about may have been
addressed. I'm not sure if the new version of EMBOSS due
this month will include a DAS client of some kind - that would
be worth checking out.

P.S. Have you signed up to the DAS mailing list?