[BioPython] [DETECTED AS SPAM] Re: back-translation method for Seq object?

Leighton Pritchard lpritc at scri.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 10:03:32 UTC 2008

On 21/10/2008 20:46, "Bruce Southey" <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for agreeing with me! I am glad that you realized that the
> genetic code prevents a true one to many relationship.

Bruce, I am not agreeing with you.  I'll try to clarify it another way:

More than one codon can encode the amino acid arginine (this is a many-one
relationship). The amino acid arginine can be 'decoded' to more than one
codon (this is a one-many relationship).

Imagine a function that accepts an amino acid as input and returns a valid
codon that could encode for the input amino acid.  This is 'decoding' as
described above, and is the process of back-translation for a single amino
acid.

For a single (i.e. 'one') amino acid, arginine, as input, the function might
correctly provide up to six (i.e. 'many') different valid answers.  This
makes it a one-many problem.  Further external constraints (e.g. Codon
tables) may be applied to restrict the number or likelihood of each codon
being correct in specific cases, but the fundamental problem is one-many.

Providing arginine as input to a particular coded version of this function
might in all cases only return a single codon as output (one-one), but the
problem itself is still one-many.

Furthermore, even though only one codon was responsible -
biologically-speaking - for encoding the arginine you're submitting to the
function (one-one), your question is the inverse: effectively 'what codon
encoded this arginine?'.  But (and it's a big but), if you don't know
beforehand what that codon is (and why else would you bother using the
function?), the problem is one-many, as any of the six solutions might be
correct.

Analogously, there are two possible values for the square root of a positive
real number, such as 4.  It is inherently a one-many problem.  For 4, the
return value could, correctly, be +2 or -2.  Now, the math.sqrt() function
in Python follows mathematical convention for the radical, and only returns
the positive value, but that does not make the relationship between the
value and its square root one-one, it only makes that implementation of the
function one-one, even though the answer could be, correctly, either
positive or negative.

Now, if your problem is: what is the length of side of a farmer's square
field with area four square miles (big field!), only one of these answers
makes sense (one-one), as the field is constrained by our reality and cannot
have negative length (this is effectively equivalent to saying that the
organism doesn't use five of the six possible codons for arginine, so only
one answer is possible).  However, the general problem of finding a square
root is still one-many, as you can see if you rephrase the problem as 'the
vector (a 0) has length 4; what is the value of a?'.  This is directly
analogous to the problem 'the amino acid arginine was encoded by a codon;
what codon was it?'.

> This very much depends on how you want to use it. TBLASTN is not very
> good for very short sequences and can not handle protein domains/motifs
> such as those in Prosite.

That's a fair point, and I wouldn't (and didn't ;) ) recommend TBLASTN as a
solution to all such problems.  I get acceptable results for exact matches
down to about 7aa on default settings, though.  Short query sequences can be
a problem whatever method you use, though.

>> TBLASTN queries against
>> nucleotide databases.  Wait, that's not quite right -
> No, it is not even correct! :-)

Yes, it is correct.  From:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/blast_program.shtml (and other