[BioPython] Biopython hackathon

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 23:43:23 UTC 2007

I hope you will consider the following two requests as possible
hackathon activities:

(1) If it does not already do this, it would be nice if the blast
"plain text" (non-XML) parser would report the length of the target
("hit") sequence as well as the query. If I recall correctly, the last
time I used the plain text blast parser, I had to measure the length
of the targets by opening up the fasta copy of the blastable database
and reading the lengths one-by-one. My database wasn't very big, so it
wasn't a hassle to do this, but I can foresee situations where this
kludge would fail.

(2) Another request is for a Python interface to the Bio::Db::SQL
database schema described in:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=12368253.

The part that seems particularly valuable would be code that to
construct the location-based queries.

My apologies if this already exists -- if yes, please let me know
where I can find it!!

All the best,

Ann Loraine