[BioPython] Fwd: An interface to the maximum-likelihood programs of PHYLIP

Chris Lasher chris.lasher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:21:00 EDT 2005

BioPython support for PHYLIP files would be most welcome to me! I use
the PHYLIP programs frequently, and sometimes would like to do
automated tasks with some of the infiles/outfiles. Automated
scripting, as Peter pointed out, is made difficult by PHYLIP's
menu-driven operation, but the program is open-source (under which
liscense, I don't know), so perhaps this could be changed to CLI after
some non-trivial work (and perhaps with Joe Felsenstein's permission).
I'd also like to see the downfall of the 10-character sequence name
limit in PHYLIP, but that's a gripe for another time...

Do keep us posted, Robert.

Chris