[BioPython] Matrix search?

Maximilian Haeussler maximilianh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:25:22 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm searching for a module that can scan DNA-sequences against weight
matrices (PWMs) from e.g. Transfac to find putative transcription
factor binding sites. I have searched biopython.org and the mailing
list but couldn't find anything appropriate.

There is the motif from the AlignAce package, but it's too specified
and tailored for AlignACE. Is there really no module in Biopython
apart from this?

Others: There is internal support in BioPerl, with an external module
BioPerl called TFBS, in Biojava with its "Distributions", though they
don't seem to support loading/saving matrices, and a standalone
program which I found via this mailing list called "tacg".

Hum...any other ideas? Standalone programs/external modules for
searching transcription factor binding sites that I've missed?

Max

--
Maximilian Haeussler,
tel: +49 170 98 39 098