[BioPython] bioperl idl

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:24:43 +0200

> There's actually several different points here.
>
> First, Python is 0 based with the end being exclusive.

Exactly, and I am convinced that any class defining indexing
with 1-based indices will sooner or later cause trouble.
And I'd expect it to happen rather sooner than later.

Here's a compromise proposal: Make indexing and slicing act the Python
way, i.e. 0-based, and implement an additional method (e.g.
"subsequence") that used "biological style" indices.

Konrad.