[Biopython-dev] Protecting master branch on GitHub?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:18:06 UTC 2017

Thank you everyone - including the off list replies,
master branch protections are now live!

I have deliberately NOT required the codecov checks
to pass - the test coverage numbers have proved far
too noisy to use as a simple yes/no check.

Also since there are two AppVeyor entries, I may
not have ticked the right one(s) - but initially the
setup is as follows (see below).

Question for later: Should we go further and require
a pull request be reviewed prior to merging? See also:

http://mailman.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2017-September/021871.html

Regards,

Branch protection for *master*
Protect this branchDisables force-pushes to this branch and prevents it
from being deleted.
Require pull request reviews before mergingWhen enabled, all commits must
be made to a non-protected branch and submitted via a pull request with at
least one approved review and no changes requested before it can be merged
into master.
Require status checks to pass before mergingChoose which status checks
<https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/statuses/> must pass before branches
can be merged into master. When enabled, commits must first be pushed to
another branch, then merged or pushed directly to master after status
checks have passed.
Require branches to be up to date before mergingThis ensures the branch has
been tested with the latest code on master.
Status checks found in the last week for this repository
 codecov/patch
 codecov/project
 continuous-integration/appveyor/branch
 continuous-integration/appveyor/prRequired
 continuous-integration/travis-ciRequired
Restrict who can push to this branchSpecify people or teams allowed to push
to this branch. Required status checks will still prevent these people from
merging if the checks fail.
Include administratorsEnforce all configured restrictions for
administrators.