[Biopython-dev] Experimenting with migrating wiki to GitHub pages

PD Dr. Markus Piotrowski Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Apr 11 09:27:19 UTC 2016

Am 11.04.2016 um 10:17 schrieb Peter Cock:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Markus Piotrowski
> <Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>> - I also was to dumb to fork the biopython.github.io respository, I pulled
>> the contend to my github.io respository, so at the moment I don't now how to
>> make pull requests.
> That's not the end of the world - I can manually grab your changes
> as long as is is clear which files you altered.
>
> If you can see how to make this easier for other people to contribute
> to the website styling in future, that would be useful to know.

I think, the solution may be to fork first and then rename the
respository to username.github.io.
(as you suggested...) I will try this later.

>> I played around a little bit with the automatic page generator. I used one
>> of the standard designs of Github Pages - "Slate" - which is quite simple
>> and plain but gives the actual pages a nice view.
>>
>> This is how it looks:
>>
>> http://markuspiotrowski.github.io/wiki/Biopython
> Simple and elegant - I'd like to get the logo in there somewhere,
> but otherwise we could start with this.
>
> As long as it isn't made too big, the logo looks great in black:
> https://twitter.com/biopython?lang=en-gb

I have put the logo into the header. Is someone around, who has a
transparent version of the logo?
I have made it transparent by using the "magic wand" tool of Photoshop,
but the result is not perfect. I will give it another try later.
The thin white glowing shadow may be removed, if we don't like it.
That's the recent version:

http://markuspiotrowski.github.io/wiki/Biopython

>> All I have done is to change the head and foot htmls in the _includes
>> folder, and of course it requires the images, javascripts and stylesheets
>> folders which where installed during the automatic page construction.
>>
>> -Markus
> May I try to import these changes, putting the commit under your name?
>
> Peter

If you like it, yes!

Markus