[Biopython-dev] GitHub squash commits?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 1 21:23:13 UTC 2016

Re: https://github.com/blog/2141-squash-your-commits

My personal preference thus far has been to avoid the "big green merge"
button on GitHub pull requests, which until now did "git merge --no-ff ..."
internally in favour of a fast-forward merge where possible, which gives
a simple linear history.

I tend also to cherry-pick commits, rebase branches and at times do
squash commits when merging - again in favour of a simple linear history.

I always felt this was closest to Biopython's pre-git model of working
from a stable branch in CVS.

GitHub's interface now allows this via the web interface with the
"squash commit".

How do people feel about making the squash commit the default
via the web interface? This would still leave full flexibility at the
command line, but for when merging simple requested in the
website we'd get a nice linear history :)

Regards,