[Biopython-dev] [Wg-phyloinformatics] GSoC Weekly Update 9: PhyloXML for Biopython

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 21 17:45:08 UTC 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Eric Talevich wrote:

> Element Clade is used in a recursive manner to describe the topology
> of a phylogenetic tree.

That's OK I guess on the topological level - a subtree of a clade is
also a clade. I.e., the clade formed a node A and all its descendants
is contained within the clade formed by the parent of A and all of the
parent's descendants.

But referring to or identifying a clade must be referring to an entire
group of nodes, not only one. So attaching something to the clade
semantically has to attach it to all nodes in the clade.

	-hilmar