[Biopython-dev] history on github - where are the tags?

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Wed Apr 22 08:53:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> There is another option, redo the import using git cvsimport.  This
>> has the downside that we lose all the network history currently in
>> github, but its only going to affect a couple of people and that was
>> always a possibility.

Yes, it is  an option, but I would be quite reluctant to do it. I think this
issue with tags is possible to get fixed without re-doing the import.

I'm scared by the possibility the we re-import stuff, fix the tags, everybody
swithches, people complain how good it was back then with CVS, ane one
month down the road, we find that there is an issue with something else,
that was not present in the previous import.

I think this is becoming a bit chaotic now. We still haven't removed the
first github conversion: (biopython_old branch: is anyone using it anyway?),
 there is this semi-official one that has a (fixable in my opinion) issue with
tags and now there is a new one made by Peter.

In summary:
I have no objections to using any particular tool for importing stuff to git.
I don't like the idea of not even trying to fix tghe problem we have
but instantly
changing the tool we are using.
I consider now re-importing stuff a major problem: everybody will need to port
their changes which is work.

>> I've just done this twice, firstly over the network (just over an
>> hour, probably a bad idea in terms of wasting the OBF bandwidth).
>> Then I succeeded in doing it locally (under 15 minutes) on my Mac
>> after logging into dev.open-bio.org and fetching a zipped up copy of
>> the CVS files.  The hard bit was working out how to get the CVSROOT
>> directory setup:

itt's good to know it works, I don't think the time differences are
significant.

> This won't be automatically updated, so please don't fork it!
exactly

Bartek

--
Bartek Wilczynski