[Biopython-dev] Plan for Biopython 1.50 (final)

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Apr 17 17:16:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Apart from these two points (documentation and EFetch), are there any
> issues regarding doing the official release of Biopython 1.50?  I
> think we can aim for a release this week...

Other than a little more documentation polishing, I think we are ready for
Biopython 1.50 now.  Thanks Bartek and Tiago for dealing with the
Bio.Motif and Bio.PopGen issues I raised so promptly :)

Are there any release blocking issues I've missed?

I was going to do it this evening before leaving work, but I'm tired and
wouldn't want to make any mistakes.  Instead, I aim to do the release
this weekend, and make the Windows installers at some point on
Monday.  The more rain we get this weekend, the more time I'll try
and spend on the docs first - otherwise the lawn needs cutting... ;)

I'll send out a warning email before hand - but until then please
feel free to check in documentation changes (including docstrings
and doctests).

We still don't have much on GenomeDiagram in the main tutorial, but I
have some plans to improve this.  We also don't have the misc GC
related functions from the standalone GenomeDiagram which we might
add to Bio.SeqUtils, but I think that can wait till Biopython 1.51.

Bartek has made a start on the Bio.Motif documentation as a separate
"cookbook" LaTeX file (plus we have some basic docstrings done):
http://cvs.biopython.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/biopython/Doc/cookbook/motif/motif.tex?cvsroot=biopython

For the long term I think we want to get rid of these misc "cookbook"
documents (by moving their content), to focus on the main document
("Biopython Tutorial and Cookbook"), the docstrings, and in future
cookbook entries on the wiki (which can be more user driven).