[Biopython-dev] Possible Contribution: UCSC Blat and Ensembl SSAHA Sequence Locator

Anthony Metzidis Anthony.Metzidis at ktl.fi
Fri Feb 7 03:43:29 EST 2003

Hello,
We've developed a Python API for the UCSC
BLAT(http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgBlat?command=start) and Ensembl
SSAHA (http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/ssahaview) genome search tools.

Using our tool, you can input a series of dna sequences in Fasta format
and then get the results back as dictionaries, indexed by the Fasta
title, of dictionaries indexed by the fields presented by the web
interfaces.

The http connection and parsing of the HTML results pages are handled by
our tool.

We use these tools for locating large amounts of SNPs that are not yet
annotated by the public DBs, or to relocate annotations that reference
an older genome build to a newer one, for example.

We would like to contribute this to BioPython, if you think there would
be an interest in it.

If so, could you offer advise about other existing BioPython interfaces
that we should model ours after?  I would like the interface to be as
consistent as possible with the rest of BioPython.

Any other advise on making contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony