[Bioperl-l] new bioperl release please?

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 29 22:46:01 UTC 2019

On January 29, 2019 at 11:58:48 AM, Carnë Draug (carandraug+dev at gmail.com<mailto:carandraug+dev at gmail.com>) wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 17:09, Fields, Christopher J
<cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On January 29, 2019 at 9:37:34 AM, Carnë Draug (carandraug+dev at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> There's currently a lot of changes in bioperl, mainly about
>> splitting modules into their own separated distributions.
>>
>> Is there anything preventing a new release? Because the changes
>> are mostly about splitting bioperl, there should not be any new
>> issue blocking a release or regression. I got it configured with
>> dzil so a new release should be as simple as `dzil release`.
>>
>> I would like to package the chnages it for Debian before their
>> freeze.
>>
>> I would also like to avoid mixing code fixes with the split of
>> into multiple distributions.
>>
>> David
>
> When are the dates before the Debian freeze? [...]

https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

Seems like it's already pass. I thought it was in two weeks time but
that's soft freeze. Debian is already in transition freeze so large
changes are no longer acceptable.

I can still prepare the debian package for unstable.

Ah, well unstable is fine.  Maybe we can add a milestone for the next stable?

> [...] There aren’t really
> any true blockers, it’s primarily blocking off some time to do this
> and ensure tests are passing. I wanted to do a release over the
> holiday break, but $job took much more of my time than expected.
> Would you be interested in joining in on releases? It might help
> expediting these.

Sure. I can run 'dzil release' in bioperl-live from my computer, no
problem. It only takes a few minutes. Do I have the permissions in
PAUSE to do it?

I could also do this but it would be better to have another dev under the umbrella.  Let me try adding you under the BIOPERLML umbrella, or at least give you co-maint on the modules.

Chris