[Bioperl-l] Need CPAN release to clear up CPANtesters test failure reports

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sun May 15 23:41:41 UTC 2016

The other day I was looking for unanswered Perl-tagged questions on
stackoverflow.  I came across this one:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36985090/extracting-and-joining-exons-from-multiple-sequence-alignments

To answer it I tried to install BioPerl from CPAN but got multiple test
failures.  I then checked out the BioPerl page on CPANtesters and saw
that your latest CPAN distribution has experienced massive test failures
on many versions of Perl and several different operating systems.  See:
  http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=BioPerl+1.6.924

I subsequently located your github site at
https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live, from which I was able to fork.
  When I attempted to build locally, I was pleasantly surprised to find
all tests run by ./Build test were PASSing.  The only problem I saw was
a "missing or corrupt MANIFEST" message, for which I have supplied this
pull request:  https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/pull/150.

Your last CPAN release was in July 2014.  I strongly advise that you do
a CPAN release of BioPerl ASAP so that your project does not suffer
reputational damage from all those test failure reports.  At the same
time, I urge you to go through the bug reports at
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=BioPerl.  It's likely
that HEAD on github resolves some of these.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan