[Bioperl-l] module Bio::TreeIO

Andreas Leimbach aleimba at gwdg.de
Tue May 10 18:21:41 UTC 2016

just realized I didn't reply to list earlier, so here are my two cents.

well, if you're willing to go outside Perl, there are plenty of options
to cluster distances. E.g. R's `hclust` function with many hierarchical
clustering algorithms (complete, average etc.)
https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/hclust.html

For examples with dendrograms (and package `ape`) see:
https://rstudio-pubs-static.s3.amazonaws.com/1876_df0bf890dd54461f98719b461d987c3d.html

Use the R package `amap` for parallellization:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/amap/index.html

BioPython has also most of the distance/clustering functions of R
implemented:
http://biopython.org/DIST/docs/tutorial/Tutorial.html#htoc234

Nice Python examples, I think, are integrated in pyani from Leighton
Pritchard:
https://github.com/widdowquinn/pyani

I'm sure there are also Perl packages for clustering out there, just
don't know about them.

HTH,
Andreas

--