[Bioperl-l] Bioperl "align is not recognized as internal or external command"

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu May 15 16:38:17 UTC 2014

On May 15, 2014, at 11:27 AM, Francisco J. Ossandón <fossandonc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A little off topic question...
>
> I also replied to Anil and the reply went to 'bioperl-l at googlegroups.com'
> too (pointed out the problem with the CLUSTALDIR containing a file path). I
> see my reply there
> (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bioperl-l/36b6NDRD_6o) but not in
> the bioperl-l mailing list archive
> (http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2014-May/date.html). I
> thought that the Google group reply would also be forwarded to the mailing
> list, but it does not seem the case. Should I always add the copy to the
> mailing list??

No, that needs to be fixed.  Frankly I support a complete move over to Google Groups (as long as they don’t decide to arbitrarily kill it, as Google sometimes does with it’s various services (see: code, reader, notebook, wave, etc etc etc).  I’ll also be leading a possible BoF group at BOSC regarding possible alternatives to a mail list for interaction.

> Now on topic with clustalw2. Taking the 'version' subroutine approach as
> example (my $string = `$prog -- 2>&1` ;), for setting "our $PROGRAM_NAME"
> value maybe "$PROGRAM_DIR /clustalw2" execution could be tested, and if it
> fails test for "$PROGRAM_DIR /clustalw" execution and if that fails then
> abort…

I would try to find a system-agnostic way of doing this, preferably at a higher level (a common method or imported routine).  I believe there was some work towards this using IPC::Run3 (I think)

> By the way, I went to Clustalw2 page
> (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/msa/clustalw2/) and found a "Note: ClustalW2 is
> no longer being maintained. Please consider using the new version instead:
> Clustal Omega"! This means that now, besides 'clustalw2'
> (http://www.clustal.org/clustal2/), there is a new version
> (http://www.clustal.org/omega/) that also have a new executable name
> 'clustalo' (no idea if the arguments, inputs and outputs remains the same
> than previous versions)... If clustalo can pass the same tests, then it
> would have to be included as a valid executable name option.

Yep.  Basically, we need to ensure that the executable name is settable by the user and has a reasonable default, then check for its presence (bailing in a meaningful way should it not be found).  The other critical part is to make sure that the parameters are supported for the versions being added; tests don’t always indicate that.

-c