[Bioperl-l] Modifying Blast plus parameters

Oz oz.sharabi at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon May 5 14:01:51 UTC 2014

Hi guys,
Thank you all for your replies. I'm slowly starting to understand how
things work..

Christipher - I'm actually working on few different tasks - 1. Alignment of
list of genes against another list of genes (blast worked well here). 2.
Alignement of genes on refference genome - here also blast did well in most
cases. 3. Alignement of contigs/scaffolds on refference genome - here blast
did ok for medium-size (few hundreds) sequences, but for very-long and
short ones it worked so-so (found many small pieces/didn't find anything
for the long/short seqs, respectively)...
So, maybe I should ask - what is the best tool to re-assemble
contigs/scaffolds on refference genome?

Russel and Paul  - from you and understand that I can use megablast or
needle - are these commands implemented in perl? I want to align many
sequences, so I don't want to do it manually..

Thank you,
Oz