[Bioperl-l] [gsoc-2014] Presentation

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Thu Feb 27 16:01:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Fields, Christopher J <
cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 4:29 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> [...] Some of the project ideas that captured my attention were
> "Convert BioPerl-DB to
> >> DBIx::Class", eventhough I have no experience with DBIx::Class but I'm
> >> willing to learn :).
>
> [...] DBIx::Class might be a little easier to tackle but it does require
> reading up.  Hilmar might have some thoughts on this.

It'd be awesome if someone were willing to tackle this. Bioperl-db is such
a good example for why inventing your own ORM is not a good idea (except
that at the time unfortunately there weren't any mature generic ones for
Perl!), and if it's gets replaced by a proper ORM it'd be very helpful.
Arguably, although initially BioPerl was the toolkit best integrated with
BioSQL, it's long been overtaken by the proper ORM-based mappings in
Biopython and Bioruby.

  -hilmar

--
Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io