[Bioperl-l] Problem using column_from_residue_number

Roy Chaudhuri roy.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:48:40 UTC 2013

Hi Stéphane,

I think you are confusing Bioperl's biological coordinates (which start at
1) with Perl coordinates (which start at 0). Just realising this
distinction should answer your first problem - the first column of the
alignment is column 1, so of course you get an error (admittedly a not very
helpful one) when you specify column 0.

The same confusion causes a subtle bug in your example code for problem b -
you use $col1 and $col2 for your substr coordinates, but they are
biological coordinates returned by Bioperl, so you need to subtract one (or
you could use the Bio::Seq method subseq rather than Perl's substr).
Correcting this bug means that you do not get any gaps reported in the
output.

Cheers,
Roy.