[Bioperl-l] blastp results and the scientific name

Jonathan Flowers jonathanmflowers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 17:35:49 UTC 2012

You should first parse the blast report using Bio::SearchIO.  Then you can
extract a "description" which usually contains the species binomial (genus,
species) plus additional information using $hit->description.  The first
two words of the about string are usually the genus and species but this
isn't always the case.  As you mentioned, the other approach is to extract
the accession using $hit->accession and then query a database with the
accession number.