[Bioperl-l] Running into problems

Scott Cain scott at scottcain.net
Tue Jan 31 15:24:20 UTC 2012

Hi Joel,

This is a fundamental perl thing: when you "use strict" (which is a
very good thing to do to help you catch other, more difficult to
detect problems), you need to identify all of the variables you use
either as coming from a package you used, or when you first declare
them in your script, with "my" in front of it.  That is what all of
the "Global symbol" things are about.  I'd suggest getting the
"Learning Perl" book, which is quite good for beginners.

Scott