[Bioperl-l] help!

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Tue Feb 7 21:38:12 UTC 2012

I will take the opportunity to shamelessly pimp my no-install install
instructions (below and http://seqxml.org/xml/BioPerl.html). IMHO if
Casandra is just looking to get started with BioPerl, messing with external
libs and configs is probably overkill.

Best,
Dave

 There’s a quickie, “zero-install” way to get BioPerl on your system.

    1) Okay, click here to download bioperl as a zip file:

    https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/zipball/master

    when it's done downloading, unzip it if your computer hasn’t done it
automatically. On the
    command line, you would do:

         unzip bioperl-live-bioperl-release-1-5-1-rc4-4318-g342e587.zip

    or whatever the file is called. You should then have a folder with some
ugly name like

    bioperl-bioperl-live-558467a

    3) rename that to

    bioperl-live

    4) move that folder to wherever you want to keep it. I keep mine in a
directory called src in my
        home directory.

    So on my computer if I go to the command line and cd to that folder and
type pwd I get:

    /Users/dave/src/bioperl-live

    5) in the terminal, cd to your home directory.

    6) see if you have a file named .bash_profile by typing

    ls -l ~/.bash_profile

    7) if so, open that file in your favorite editor. if the file doesn't
exist, just create the file.

    8) put this line in your .bash_profile

             export PERL5LIB=/Users/dave/src/bioperl-live

    (obviously replacing my path info with wherever you chose to put
bioperl)

    9) save and close your .bash_profile

  10) open a new terminal window so that the change will take effect.

  11) on the command line of the new terminal, type

               perl -e "use Bio::SeqIO;"

    If that works, then you have "installed" bioperl. Yay!