[Bioperl-l] retrieving bioperl version for scripts

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:07:53 UTC 2011

2011/9/28 Fields, Christopher J <cjfields at illinois.edu>:
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>
>> 2011/9/28 longbow leo <longbow0 at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi, Carnë,
>>>
>>> Do you mean this:
>>>
>>> perl -MBio::SeqIO -e 'print $Bio::SeqIO::VERSION'
>>>
>>> In my machine, the output is
>>
>> Thank you. Yes this is what I was looking for. I looked down how that
>> variable comes up and so I think I'll use
>>
>> use Bio::Root::Version;
>> say $Bio::Root::Version::VERSION;
>>
>> Carnë
>
> Just a warning on this: we're shortly to announce a major restructuring effort with BioPerl that will dramatically affect core versioning, mainly from the point of view that modularizing BioPerl into more manageable sub-distributions will require that each sub-distribution have it's own version (not necessarily a bad thing).

Where will the scripts end up after this restructuration? What I want
is to create a version of the script (not of bioperl). Since the
script is released with bioperl, they are the same. I actually already
made the commit that makes this, just haven't bothered with the pull
request yet.

Also, will there be a release before this change?

Carnë