[Bioperl-l] Fasta counting script?

Kylie Goodyear goodyearkl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:00:55 UTC 2011

Thank you for your help. It keeps telling me that it can't find
"length" do you think it has to do with the way I am coding it?

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#Defines perl modules

#Bio::Seq deal with sequences and their features
use Bio::Seq;

#Bio::SeqIO handles reading and parsing of sequences of many different
formats
use Bio::SeqIO;

#Read FASTA file
$seqio_obj = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => "DNA_sequences.fasta", -format
=> "fasta" );

#Count how many sequences are present in file
my $countseq=0;
while (my $seq_obj = $seqio_obj->next_seq, ) {
    $countseq++;
    }
#Display the number of sequences present
print "There are $countseq sequences present.\n";

#Count number of charcaters in file
my $seq_length = $seq_obj->length ;
print $seq_length