[Bioperl-l] Scripting help to identify adaptors count in reads

Juan Jovel jovel_juan at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:06:16 UTC 2011

There are many ways to do it.
Perhaps the simplest is to count the number of times the adapter sequence (or part of it) appears in each read.
For example:
$adapter_matches = tr/adapter_sequence/adapter_sequence/;# $adapter_matches will store the number of times the adapter sequence is repeated.
You then place that result in a hash bin:
my %adapter_frequency;my $class = "$adapter_matches";if(exists $adapter_frequency{$class}){	$adapter_frequency{$class}++}else{	$adapter_frequency{$class} = 1}
# Then you can sort and output your classes
foreach $class (sort keys %adapter_frequency){                print "$class\t$adapter_frequency{$class}\n";        }

You can workout the details, but something like this should work.