[Bioperl-l] Bioperl installation help

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Wed Nov 16 12:01:49 EST 2011

Hi Christel,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the installation.

It looks like these modules aren't getting installed and are causing the
failed tests:
CMUNGALL/Data-Stag-0.11.tar.gz               : make NO
FLORA/ExtUtils-Manifest-1.60.tar.gz          : make NO

I would try installing those separately via CPAN first and then trying
again to install BioPerl.

Also, it was a good idea to set the make_install_make_command option to
CPAN, and that should have worked. Unfortunately, there's another
installation system called Module::Build that has its own option which may
need to be set:
cpan> o conf mbuild_install_build_command 'sudo ./Build'

That being said, I would suggest you grab the latest version of BioPerl
from github instead of using v1.6.1 from CPAN, which is fairly out of date
at this point.

And unless you're planning to use BioPerl with GBrowse or Bio::Graphics,
there's another, simpler way to get BioPerl up and running (assuming you
have all the prerequisites like Data::Stag installed):

See "Don't want to install BioPerl?" here:
http://www.seqxml.org/xml/BioPerl.html

Best,
Dave