[Bioperl-l] minicpan (CPAN::Mini) doesn't mirror BioPerl-1.6.1

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sat Mar 5 21:18:50 UTC 2011

George Hartzell writes:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm using minicpan (from CPAN::Mini) to keep a cpan mirror.  My mirror
 > does not contain BioPerl-1.6.1.tar.gz even though search.cpan.org
 > seems to have it.  The only tarballs that end up in Chris' directory
 > are these:
 >
 > /Users/hartzell/tmp/minicpan//authors/id/C/CJ/CJFIELDS/BioPerl-db-1.6.0.tar.gz
 > /Users/hartzell/tmp/minicpan//authors/id/C/CJ/CJFIELDS/BioPerl-network-1.6.0.tar.gz
 > /Users/hartzell/tmp/minicpan//authors/id/C/CJ/CJFIELDS/BioPerl-run-1.6.1.tar.gz
 >
 > It is listed in the 02packages.details.txt.gz file that is mirrored.

Here's the conclusion, for the list and posterity.

CPAN::Mini is excluding the BioPerl modules, as well as the perl
source distributions, because they're "too big".

You can get minicpan to mirror all this stuff by adding

 perl: 1

to your .minicpan, which causes the app to set its internal skip_perl
flag to 0, which in turn causes it to mirror the big stuff.

I'm running a few experiments to figure out how much add'l space gets
used if one allows bioperl without all of the other perl source
releases.  Maybe I can convince Ricard to do something less heavy
handed for us.

g.