[Bioperl-l] GSoC/BioPerl Reorganization Project

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 29 05:49:31 UTC 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:15 AM, Robert Buels wrote:

> On 04/28/2011 07:15 PM, Siddhartha Basu wrote:
>> At what point in flow the dependencies between the split modules will be
>> added. Is there any particular order the split modules would be created.
>
> Dependencies are added and characterized at the time each distribution is created.  That's why the splitting order starts at Bio::Root, so that you can proceed up the hierarchy of dependencies without having to modify the dependency lists of the distributions that have already been extracted.

Yes (or, +1).  Those particular split-off bits can probably be called v. 2.0 for all intents and purposes, with whatever is left iteratively converging on 2.0.

>> And how those split off modules will be released in CPAN,  one by one as
>> they being generated or all of them in a batch after which they will
>> follow their release schedule.
>
> One by one, as they are generated.  I think it would be a good idea to re-release bioperl-live with each split as well.  This will probably lead to bioperl-live being released nearly every week as the split is ongoing.  As a consequence, the master branch of bioperl-live will need to be kept in very good shape.  This is easy if you just follow good practice: develop in branches, run *all* the tests before committing, go on IRC and send pull requests for code review, etc.
>
> Rob

As code will be pulled out along the way, might be best to ensure branches are up-to-date prior to a merge.

One additional question: how are we dealing with commit history?  I don't think there is an easy way of carrying that over to a brand-new repo...

Not that it's a problem, but something to think about.