[Bioperl-l] IUPAC code similarity

Roy Chaudhuri roy.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 15:04:28 UTC 2010

Hi Shalabh,

The expand method in Bio::Tools::SeqPattern may be useful to convert
IUPAC codes to regular expressions:

$perl -e 'use Bio::Tools::SeqPattern; print
Bio::Tools::SeqPattern->new(-seq=>"VGSRVBSSSSSNSC", -type=>'DNA')->expand'
[ACG]G[GC][AG][ACG][CGT][GC][GC][GC][GC][GC].[GC]C

Although that won't work if there are also abiguity codes in your
database. For a non-BioPerl solution you could try fuzznuc from Emboss.

Cheers.
Roy.