[Bioperl-l] default Bio::DB::SwissProt server broken?

Hamish McWilliam hamish.mcwilliam at bioinfo-user.org.uk
Wed Oct 27 10:32:22 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

The dbfetch service at EBI has changed, see
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/about/news#st_october_2010. On
of the effects of this is the main endpoint used for dbfetch has
changed from http://www.ebi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/dbfetch to
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/dbfetch/dbfetch. With the old endpoints
being supported via a HTTP redirect. It looks like the
Bio::DB::SwissProt module does not support redirects and is thus
getting an empty document back from the service. Looks like the URL
used in the code needs to be updated.

All the best,

Hamish