[Bioperl-l] git branches, tags, 'topic/bug_####'

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Thu May 13 15:43:47 UTC 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Re: deletion of branches, I'm only really in support of deleting
> feature branches that have been merged back to 'master' or another
> branch (e.g. only removed using 'git branch -d foo').

I agree.

>  Older subversion release branches don't tend to fall into that
> category, in that we had merged or cherry-picked changes from svn
> trunk to them, not vice versa; they were never merged back to
> trunk.  Deletion in this case would be somewhat history-revising,
> correct?

I wouldn't call it history-revising. I also think it's OK to delete
release branches that are no longer supported, iff we have a tag for
the release itself.

That's different from counting inactivity. A branch may lie dormant
for a year or longer until someone has time to pick it back up again -
I don't see the harm in keeping those around.

> Saying that, we could adopt a workflow policy that allows deletion
> of any merged branch.  All this suggests coming up with a good
> 'Contributing' document.

That would be highly useful. I'll also voice a word of caution here
though - I find it kind of ironic that the switch to git, which is
supposed to make contribution *easier*, very often leads subsequently
to complex commit/pull/push/branching workflows being instituted for
projects that take pages and pages to document, a lot of time to
ingest, and discipline to follow - it seems to be very easy and
tempting to go overboard with this.

	-hilmar

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :